Sunday, October 20, 2013

The First Four Rows

Yesterday afternoon, Amelia helped me and we laid out the memory quilt blocks for my Grandmother and figured out where the holes were in the row patterns.  I was short a total of 5 blocks and had to unsew a few and re-configure them.  Glad I took the time to lay it all out instead of going with my system of keeping track.  I would have been way off.  I was keeping track of the 4 block styles along the way and it was working but when I got to 68 blocks, I figured it was a good time to pause and see what was going on in the quilt.

We fussed a little bit with moving blocks around but to be frank, I didn't really.  I knew I could drive myself batty moving the pictures around.  It is what it is.  I've been checking the rows before I've sewn them and did a little re-shuffle that way.  Good thing too.  I had a row that had one picture of my Grandmother and the rest were of my Dad.  LOL.

So far this weekend, I got 4 rows totally pieced together, rows 5 and 6 are pieced but are separate from the group and row 7 is waiting to be pieced into a row.  I just got tired and had to quit.  I will get the last 3 rows pieces the next 3 nights and by the weekend, fingers crossed!  My goal is to have this all pieced and to Jill for some quilting NO LATER than the first week of November.  I still have to get the binding on this thing once it gets back to me.  I am so slow with binding work.  

Here are the first four rows

Some close-ups in sections
Middle

Top

Bottom
I really love how this is coming out.  And if I didn't know I would get this quilt back eventually (hopefully years and years from now), I would want to keep it for myself!

My little helper

Next time I show you, this will be one massive quilt, ready for the quilter's.  This is my biggest one so far in my sewing career.  72 memory blocks.  I think I got a bit carried away with picking pictures, don't you think?  I don't care.  I couldn't decide and just kept going.  It is going to be awesome regardless!  I don't think I will take on another one of these quilts for a while though.  My bank account needs to recover.  That printable fabric paper is expensive!  Thank goodness for Joann coupons!

Enjoy your day!
Jen :)

6 comments:

  1. It's going to be an amazing quilt! I think I'd want to keep it too, if it was my family! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really great Jen! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! it's turning out great! Way to help your mom Amelia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jen -- it's gorgeous. I love the little white frames around a lot of the pictures too. I can't wait to see this one finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt is going to be the best present ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails